View Single Post
Old 06-24-2022, 05:41 AM   #9
KarlKost

Default Re: Why holy water? And other questions about holy-powered PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
It's been a while since I last posted a big batch of game questions. I have many more, but will restrain myself to small batches. Here are five questions related to clerics and holy warriors:

1) Why not just use acid?: Why stock up on holy water to fight vampires and the like? Holy water burns vampires like acid, which is cool – but know what else burns vampires like acid does? Acid. Which sizzles pretty much all enemies (and locks, grating bars, etc.), not just those with a rare Divine Curse.

Acid costs less, too! Sure, the clerical discount hands holy water the price advantage again, but the wee savings don't seem worth giving up acid's great usefulness. So, barring the GM granting other benefits to holy water, why not go all-acid? Maybe acid's danger factor (chance of acid vials breaking in a fall)? The chance of meeting a ghost affected by holy water but not acid? Special-order spotty availability? The "it's genre" factor of holy water? Something else I'm missing?

Just wondering whether anyone else has come across players asking "why holy water?".
The only one answer I can come up with (besides "it's cool") is that holy water wont screw over anything else besides the big baddies. That means, you can use it to identify vamps and other bbb (big bad bosses) hiding and disguised as humans.
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote