View Single Post
Old 01-19-2014, 01:21 PM   #8
malloyd

Default Re: Thaumaturgic Automata and Draw Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
US and Japan are the only countries to have a 120 V mains supply
What, Canada and most of Latin America don't count? There are probably close to a dozen somewhat different voltage and frequency standards in use in the world though. Depending on how far along Chinese electrification is, the world's most common standard could be neither of them - it's 220 V there.

Quote:
and while the circuit breaker is rated for 200A, wouldn't people be limited to drawing from the power points?
I could take off the panel and touch the points you can pull 200 A through if I were feeling suicidal. So no, not really.

Quote:
And while you might not need to spend an hour to get a kilowatt hour how many people know that?
All of them who know what the difference is between power and energy? Which I'll admit is far fewer than one might wish, but I'm at a loss for what you think the alternative would be if you want to maintain a relationship to energy at all. I don't think really think megajoules would be any more familiar. Calories might be I guess, but no electrical stuff is going to be labeled in them, and you get the wonderful confusion between gram and kilogram calories, so I doubt anybody would be any better off.