View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 05:59 AM   #13
B9anders

Default Re: Is it possible to build an essentially realistic character for a 500 poinsupers g

I think you can easily make one at 500 points and beyond without cinematic advantages. Just a guy off the top of my head:

Multimillionaire 1 [75]
Security Clearance [15]
Zeroed [10]
(100 points)

This guy has amassed a great personal fortune through less than formal means, managed and has the means to ensure, to eradicate his identity and has access to all the secrets out there. How did this happen? Maybe he was part of a very powerful CIA cell, scrubbed his records when he left, still maintains contacts within the game to have free access and now uses the wealth he acquired on the side (maybe he simply stole the treasury of a third world dictator after assassinating him) for his own private war on injustice.

Add a high-end Contact Group and Legal Immunity with the informal modifier from having friends in high places. The contact group easily comes to 150 points on its own. (160 points).

Whether it is by sheer chance or not, in the real world some people simply do seem to catch more lucky breaks than others. So I think you can make a realistic character who is one of those and give him serendipity and luck as well, at least at the basic level. (30 points)

Then jack up some mental traits. He has Eidetic Memory of course, both Versatile and Single-minded, a few levels of Charisma, he is a Handsome bastard, Has a good Voice, maybe he even has a few levels of Social Regard: Feared (Obvious Badass). This guy has not just seen the black oozing underbelly of the world, he's tickled it and hammer punched it, so he is Indomitable by now. He also has Empathy (sensitive) from his years of having to sift deception, double crossers from good honest people. This, incidentally, also makes other Indomitable baddasses fair game for his own considerable influence skills. (77 points)

All this comes out to 367 points. I haven't even looked at buying attributes or skills yet, or physical advantages or talents he needs.

But Attributes could easily end up in the 300 points department (14 allround, higher ST and maybe one or two other attributes slightly higher than 14). And he'll want a good load of skills from his extensive top of the line CIA background. Social skills, knowledge skills and of course plenty of combat training (he did lots of field work before he made it to the top of the game).

I'd say we're looking at at least 750 points or so for mister ex-cia-turned-private black-ops before looking at Disadvantages (he'll want to take Status -2 at the least. A Zeroed black ops guy doesn't deal with that).

----

I'd probably want to give him as many levels of smooth operator as possible and certainly give him plenty of points in Intimidation, Fast-Talk and Acting (alongside perks like Fearsome Stare and Controllable Disadvantage:Callous).

In a world of supers, I imagine this guy's shtick is walking into a room of criminals, give them a stare that let's everyone know who is boss, maybe give a calm talking to to the one in charge on what the world is really like and how he doesn't want to find out more (having of course, already researched him and possibly holding all his assets to ransom, just in case).

And if someone makes trouble, the posted sniper he has hired takes out the troublemaker's knee-cap. Only then would he even consider taking his hands out of his badass long coat, adjust his tie and crack his knuckles for a good smackdown.

He is essentially the Cigarette Smoking Man from X-Files with several levels of Baddass on top.

Last edited by B9anders; 11-14-2012 at 06:43 AM.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote