View Single Post
Old 05-08-2010, 03:40 PM   #45
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Heavy crushing/smashing weapons: Why use them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landwalker View Post
I'm not saying, and haven't said, that they don't need stats. I'm questioning why anyone would make the conscious decision to say "Hey, I'm going to make a combat-minded adventurer (because nobody else would be entertaining ST 12+ weapons in the first place) whose primary weapon is [practically crippled]!"
Honestly I don't really see the difference between a Hammer and a Halberd with a back spike. The museum pieces I've seen, and replicas I've wielded aren't significantly different. If one is double dagger than the other ought to be as long as they have the same weight. Hopefully CCoI will account for this.

Otherwise I can think of a few reasons:
  • Availability: Dueling Halberds aren't going to be available to a 9th century fighter for instance. They haven't been invented yet. I'm a little dubious of Martial Arts making them TL3 anyway, Halberds (especially "demi-" length ones) are a weapon of pike-and-shot warfare, AFAICT. This might be errata, really.
  • Stylist: If you've trained in a style that centers around a given weapon, you'll probably want to wield it.
  • Damage: As has been repeated throughout this thread CCoI will fix this.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 05-08-2010 at 03:45 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote