View Single Post
Old 12-30-2020, 01:34 PM   #33
tshiggins

Default Re: Cinematic Rocket Delta-V Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post

(SNIP)

One of my long-term projects is making a 2D projection of a "subway map" style of near star map, based upon an 8 light year jump limit, and leaving all of the red dwarfs and whatever brown dwarfs I could find info on in place. It is definitely more complex than 2300AD's map, but still results in interesting choke points. They are just on a larger scale than in 2300AD, where every route is essentially linear. And it still has lots of obscure and remote systems to hide in, and doesn't orphan any interesting systems (IIRC Fomalhaut is one example, as anything shorter leaves it inaccessible). There are numerous spots where a cluster of systems is only accessible to the rest of the map through one of them, for example. And there is a Great Ring Route that includes Sol. It's turning out nicely.

I was frankly surprised that nobody seems to have done it before. I'm using Astrosynthesis and some data from the Lair of Evil Doctor Ganymede. The hard part is getting it into a 2D display. It would be nice if I could find software that would spit out a subway map automagically, but I can't, so I'm doing it by hand.
That seems like a lot of work, yeah.

I looked at the 3D rotatable chview maps put together by some C.J. Cherryh fans, a long time ago, and that works pretty well.
http://members.nova.org/~sol/chview/

Winchell Chung lists several others:
http://www.projectrho.com/public_htm...s/software.php

Were I to ever get a group together that wanted me to set up an interstellar game (which I probably won't, since one of my players is doing that for the next campaign we play...), I'd probably pick one of those.

I do like the notion of a "subway map," though, as an easy reference that doesn't require much in the way of sophisticated software.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote