View Single Post
Old 12-30-2020, 01:13 PM   #31
Varyon

Default Re: Cinematic Rocket Delta-V Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I consider artifiical gravity but another trope necessary thing, It's all small potatoes after you've swallowed FTL and non-geriactric realspace propulsion.
The real problem with artificial gravity are the other types of things that seem to follow from such tech - if you don't want antigravity (which has a huge number of planetary applications that would drastically influence the setting), inertial compensators, and gravitic weapons (tractor beams, grav guns, etc), it's hard to fit artificial gravity in without raising some eyebrows.

For my Harpyias setting, I happened to want the aesthetics of fighters that look like they'd be home in atmosphere and transports/capital ships that look like they could serve as naval vessels (using the Hydrodynamic Hull design switch from SS7, although such vessels generally aren't meant to go planetside), naturally with appropriate technobabble explanations as to why these designs are used. This would lend itself to having artificial gravity, but because I didn't want the add-on effects of that (and the setting already rather strains the number of applications of a single miracle material), I decided most of the larger vessels either accept that they'll be spending some time on the float or pair up and use spin tethers (smaller vessels are typically relatively short-ranged, so their crew accept they'll be without gravity at least until they return to their mothership). Space habitats typically use more traditional spin gravity.