View Single Post
Old 07-22-2020, 01:59 PM   #18
whswhs

Default Re: Alternatives to GURPS? Other tabletop RPGs to try?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
More and more, I think what's actually important for me (right now) is a system/setting that has lots of pre-written adventures (or, at the very least, a good amount of solid plot-hooks). I mentioned that before, but I'm feeling more and more like I would still be put off from a 'simple' system if I had to think really hard about the world and adventures.
My priorities are quite different from yours, which may influence how useful my advice is to you. On one hand, over the past quarter century, I've run one campaign and two sessions of another from a pre-written source; everything else has been stuff I made up. I hesitate to use published material because I like to tailor encounters to the characters and to specific actions of theirs in past sessions, and it's hard to do that with anything written by somebody else. On the other hand, I really like worldbuilding, to the point where one of my habitual jokes is that the best part of the campaign is over when the characters enter play . . .

Not to say that you have to approach things that way! But bear in mind that my recommendations are for games that suit my style and may or may not suit yours. FUDGE is a wonderful system, but you actually start out by designing the game mechanics to fit your campaign plans . . .

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote