View Single Post
Old 08-09-2014, 07:29 AM   #3
whswhs

Default Re: [Basic] Skills of the week: Bicycling, Driving and Piloting

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Bicycling isn't Driving (Bicycle), because it's easier than that, but it can be treated the same in most ways. It's a common background skill of the twentieth century, for the cheapest form of vehicle, and sees a revival in post-apocalypse settings but I suspect it doesn't get used a whole lot in games.

Driving requires a confession. I cannot drive (sight too poor) and don't really understand the emotional importance of the skill to so many people. Seeing it used a lot in games for (Automobile) and (Heavy Wheeled) made me wonder about the arbitrary quality of the boundary at 5 tons weight. That's 10,000lb, as GURPS always uses short tons, and since having a vehicle change skill when it gets a cargo loaded or removed seems silly, I presume it's maximum loaded weight, which is the weight in vehicle stats anyway. I could believe in lighter vehicles that had (Heavy Wheeled) characteristics, like vertical steering columns and air-brakes, and ought to use (Heavy Wheeled), but that comes under Rule Zero.

Piloting has a similar arbitrary boundary between (Light) and (Heavy) aircraft, and maximum take-off weight is a standard attribute for real-world aircraft. One could change the division to (Single-Engine) and (Multi-Engine) since single-engine aircraft over 20,000lb MTOW are mostly jet fighters capable of over 600mph, and thus (High-Performance). Air crashes are deadly, hence Piloting has an important rule for critical failures: if your skill is 15+, re-roll critical failures, which only happen on a further failure.

Vehicular dodge is Handling + Skill/2; note that there is no +3 as for personal dodges, but Handling has significant variations, in the range +/-4, although most vehicles are in the middle of that range. Skill is the main thing though; do the operator's Combat Reflexes apply?

High-Tech has rules for bicycle movement and load-carrying, notes on Driving, and more vehicles. Ultra-Tech adds more, and the Action series fills in more details.

What have you done with these skills in a game that was weird or amusing? What's missing, or wrong? Does it all feel convincing?
I've never used Bicycling in GURPS. I've built a character in another campaign who was a modest super-speedster with a ruggedly built bicycle for extra speed. And I once ran a campaign where a character who was a Ben Grimm knockoff travelled in a pedalled vehicle—but it was a van with the engine yanked out, not a bicycle.

Bicycles would be very appropriate in a steampunk campaign. The bicycle (a) was the great liberatory mobility source and (b) was the original technology that led to automobiles and airplanes.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote