View Single Post
Old 08-15-2020, 10:16 AM   #20
Ejidoth

Default Re: Martial Arts Style Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
With the exception of Wildcard Magery ("Wildcard Colleges", Thaumatology p. 75), a Talent does not improve skills covered by or defaulted to wildcard skill if both are allowed to exist. (GURPS Power-Ups 7: Wildcard Skills p. 16, 24)
I think there's a misunderstanding here. I wasn't talking about stacking talent and wildcard skills.

What I meant was more like this:

There are no martial arts style talents currently priced. There are martial arts wildcard skills. From the wildcard skills, we know that 12/level is considered a fair price for 'improve your rolls at everything in the style by +1', so it seems like a reasonable starting point for figuring out how to price an equivalent talent that improves your rolls at everything in the style by +1.
There's definitely room for argument there. After some of the debate here I'm leaning toward a combination of 1) this isn't really what talents are for, but 2) if it is allowed, 10/level is probably closest to fair. Unlike the wildcard guy you're not getting all the free techniques and, as has been pointed out, 15/level is probably too much for a DX-focused talent even if you do consider the reaction bonus and training speed buffs as part of the value of the talent.
Ejidoth is offline   Reply With Quote