View Single Post
Old 08-14-2019, 12:06 AM   #43
Tomsdad

Default Re: A Question of Strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
That would require a little bit of research and would depend on the type of lift being attempted.
Fair enough but that is beginning to sound like those theoretical best 100m times by a human, studies. Basically even the good ones come with a long list of caveats, and often have to redone when someone in real life does something (Usain Bolt is a good example here actually)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The actual skill for lifting is making sure that you correctly execute the lift in a way that maximizes your available strength, it does not allow you do use strength that you don't have. Having more muscles isn't skill, it's just limited ST.
I see what you mean but if you can't access the full potential without increasing amount of skill then isn't that really the skill value adding to the base ability in order to access that theoretical maximum? I.e like pretty much how skills and stats work in GURPS as a combination of stat and skill working as a mutually supporting whole for a final expressible ability greater than either.

In GURPS the lifting skill doesn't work separately from ST after all, as the result is tied to BL. So it's inherently tied and thus limited by the underlying strength of the lifter. Which is why those little chaps in the lightest weight classes might have the same skill as the 105kg+ big boys, but they will never lift the same weight them

Just as someone with pistols +4 and DX of 8 won't shoot as well as someone with pistols +4 and a DX of 12. I.e. both stat and skill act as a limiting factor, just as they act as synergeistic parts of the combined whole

Last edited by Tomsdad; 08-14-2019 at 12:25 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote