View Single Post
Old 07-07-2016, 01:24 AM   #16
Methariel

Default Re: In Nomine....does it have a "Pro-Heaven" bias?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonsight View Post
[...]

Anyways, I'm more in the favor of presenting Yahweh as a outright antagonist who is directly responsible for many countless atrocities under his name and thrives on it because he's a Storm-War God or the "Lord of Hosts" which is what he originally was in Canaanite Mythology which I actually came up with story that he lead a "one man revolution" using his army of angels which he actually murdered his own pantheon because he felt should be the only God in existence and usurped power after murdering his Father El to take over as the "God most High" and now has his sights on other Pantheons....Although I'm not so sure if In Nomine lets me do that...

[...]
As has already been mentioned several times, In Nomine lends itself to more than one style of play, theme, or interpretation. So, you can have a game with the baseline you mentioned, of course.

Another thing entirely is the question if that baseline is "canon". That's something I don't believe to be true. But who - besides Yves and Kronos - knows that for sure, given CDaU? To me, that version sounds more like one of the variants of the "Ethereal Heresy" being true - in your campaign. And there's nothing wrong with that.

A third, and, again, separate, matter is the question of fun. Regarding roleplaying games that's probably the most important one. You just have to answer the question for yourself: "Can I have fun playing a game in a way that I have every reason to believe is not 'canon' regarding that game's premise?"

If the answer is "yes", go on, play, and have fun! If it's "no", I think it'd be better if you didn't play, then. There's no reason to play a game you won't have fun with out of your own free will. And I think you should answer that question for yourself very carefully, to make sure your beliefs won't be "rubbed the wrong way" when reading the source material to prepare adventures for the characters.

And if you answer with "yes", make sure that your players would have fun with such a campaign, too. Don't just tell them: "We're going to play In Nomine." That might give them the impression they're going to play heroic angels fighting the tidal wave of Evil, scheming diabolicals trying to become the top dog in a given area, ready to sell their allies if it furthers their agenda, or hapless humans caught in the crossfire of a millenia old war waged by inhuman beings as old as Creation itself. I think, especially with In Nomine, being on the same page as your players are is of the utmost importance.

M.