View Single Post
Old 09-14-2015, 10:41 AM   #18
T.K.

Default Re: When to homebrew and when to use the system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj234 View Post
I'm basing my campaign on the anime Naruto.
Hmmm... first, I'd like reinstate that I DO believe you can build anything that's relevant for actual gameplay in a RPG campaign with GURPS. Seriously.

And on top of that, I'd go really bold and also state that you don't need to homebrew 85% of the time.
From the remaining 15% where the rules can't cover you, there's enough structure laid out in GURPS that you have pretty solid guidelines to make an informed brewing ^)^

That said and taken out of the way...

What exactly doesn't suit your taste with the systems already presented in GURPS that goes against Naruto jutsu system?

Starting with the very basics here, you could make something like this using the GURPS basic magic system:

Each school in GURPS would be a Jutsu tree of knowledge, with the more powerful jutsu down the tree, for example, Katon Jutsus would be Fire school, Suiton jutsus would be Water school...
You could simply add some spells that would be missing or change a bit ones in GURPS to better match existing jutsus.

Keep in mind, jutsus in Naruto that are the same effect, but simply more powerful or less and thus in the anime are treated as different jutsus in GURPS could simply be the same spell, only with more Fatigue added to fuel it.

To represent the affinity that some ninjas and some families have, you can use Aspected Magery.
Magery is the advantage in GURPS that adds to spells (A form of Talent) and can be found in the Basic.
There's an option to make it Aspected aka only work in a reduced state or reduced row of spells.

So, let's say you're an Uchiha, you could give their template something like:

Prodigy Ninja (Magery) 2 (Aspected Magery, 2 school only (Fire Spells, Mind Spells), -30% ; Can't use External Energy, -15%) [11]

This means that this guy would be better performing any jutsu (spell) of the Fire and Mind school, basically Katon jutsu and genjutsu since he does have Magery 2 for these schools.

To represent the Dojutsus and the Kekkei Genkai, simply use Unusual Background and build the Dojutsus with a combination of advantages to build the core powers (Sharingan, Byakugan, Rinnegan...) and then allow special spell trees or secret spells if the person has those.

What else do you need of Naruto?
T.K. is offline   Reply With Quote