View Single Post
Old 08-05-2021, 12:27 AM   #9
Steve Plambeck

Default Re: XP per Session: Session Length

Our typical scenarios (single adventures) lasted 2 to 4 sessions (usually 8 hours each), and we generally dispensed enough XP per scenario for PC's to up one attribute. You might call that stingy as it translates to an average of only 25 to 50 XP for a day's play. But of course in the beginning we stuck with the original Melee/Wizard rules that every 100 XP was worth an attribute increase.

It "felt right" that PCs began and ended one adventure with the same attributes, cashed in their XP between adventures, then started the next scenario with an attribute up a point. Of course the bolder players could do a little better than that, and the conservative players a little worse.

But in a related question, when did folk generally allow the XP to be cashed in? Mid-session? Mid-adventure? Or only after the whole adventure was over? In my group you had to wait until the adventure was over, unless it was an unusually long campaign where the plot covered multiple days or weeks.

At the other extreme might be: Baldur kills a giant in the blue room, now steps into the adjacent violet room with a one-point higher DX because killing the giant put him over the XP threshold for an increase. Too unrealistic for my taste, but did anyone allow that kind of thing?