Thread: A bit of Advice
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 08:33 AM   #32
Jabani

Default Re: A bit of Advice

I vote for the Pulp campaign - it's the most straight-forward and is very much in the high action style of D&D fantasy. There isn't new campaign- or history-specific knowledge since there's no magic and it's set in something like the real world in a fairly recent era. Also, pulp is awesome :)

Quote:
Characters - I'd suggest 175-225 points for characters, and that you make them all yourself with player input.
Seconded. I'd aim for the lower end of the scale to keep things from overwhelming, but if you're comfortable with the system, the upper range would be alright I should think.

Overall, the thing is to consider your players: for example, if they're the sorts of people who want to try new things, you'll want to differentiate GURPS and your campaign (make it less like D&D fantasy, emphasize the advantages of GURPS like "you can build whatever character you want!" [with GM guidance of course, as others have pointed out], etc.) and have them vote on the campaign. If they're "D&D for life! Anything else sucks!", well, obviously you're in a tough spot :) But if such they are, I would try to limit the changes, as the jarring of different expectations may cause them to curl up into a ball. Also, you can ask them, keeping in mind that what they say may have little to do with how they actually feel.
Jabani is offline   Reply With Quote