View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 12:28 PM   #35
trooper6

Default Re: New to GURPs; not sure where to start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel
With all that being said, there are certain aspects of D&D which I plan to keep. I like the concept of "skill challenges" which is used in D&D 4E. Basically, a skill challenge sets the difficulty for a certain skill such as trying to win over the help of the king. Instead of simply making one diplomacy roll and succeeding, it may take multiple successes to plead your case. A diplomacy skill challenge might require 4 successes before 2 failures; if you fail twice you say something which causes the king not to help your or you insult him or whatever the DM decides. This doesn't replace roleplaying though. In most cases roleplaying in such a situation always trumps rollplaying, but I think it's a good mechanic to use so as to not punish players who are shy about roleplaying (in the diplomacy example) while still giving a good mental idea of how difficult it would be to complete a task. Another skill challenge idea could be picking a lock; a tougher lock would require more successful rolls before a lower amount of failed rolls. I'm not sure how well this idea will fit into GURPs, but I'm looking into it.
I wouldn't do it by number of successful rolls. If you want to do that, I'd do it by target number for additive margins of success. So say you have to attain 10 margins of success. And you only have four attempts, or whatever. So you roll diplomacy and succeed by 2. Now you have three more attempts to get 8 more margins of success. If your next roll you fail by 1, that is subtracted by your tally. So you now have 2 rolls and 9 margins of success to get.

Or, you can go rules as written and go with Regular Contests of Skill (not Quick Contests of Skill). My Diplomacy vs. your Diplomacy. If you roll a success and I roll a success...we are at an impasse. We roll again and try a new tactic. With each roll other players may try to aid the main Diplomat with relevant skills, giving a bonus to his roll. Then the next round of negotiating begins.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote