View Single Post
Old 09-16-2022, 06:13 AM   #8
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Very High Mana, Critical Successes, Maintenance, and Missile Enlargement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteharbormaster View Post
. . . I'd like to point out that the main question that needs answered is about whether the "instant refund" of spellcasting FP applies on energy spent to maintain a spell.

The GM allowed me to spend 100 points at character creation (250 point character build) on Mana Enhancer 2 (no enhancements, so affects self only), so my character has Very High Mana most of the time.

Now, it seems to me that spell maintenance and missile spell expansion should be under the same aegis as actual casting -- in that it's all magical energy spent, so Very High Mana ought to allow one to get it back next second. It seems, however, that by the strictest reading of the wording of the straight 4e Magic rules, only casting energy (not maintenance or missile expansion) is covered.
In general, I agree with you. However, I tried looking at the previous version of Magic for 3e, which has a significant difference:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GURPS Magic, March 2000, sidebar, p. 6
Very high mana: Anyone can cast spells, if he knows them. Energy spent by a mage is fully renewed every turn!
That clearly does what you're looking for, but the change in wording at 4e may well have been deliberate.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote