View Single Post
Old 09-06-2022, 11:08 AM   #9
Arith Winterfell

Default Re: Cyberpunk, Space Travel, and Setting Design

Wow! What great feedback and replies!

Several of you pointed out (and I think hit the nail on the head) that a key issue I've been having IS conflict in tone.

This made me realize I really do want to keep cyberpunks elements of evil corps and dystopian decay, just on space stations and alien worlds. Perhaps drawing from the Alien franchise is a good idea too in terms of looking at the setting from the "working stiffs" point of view too.

As Johndallman mentioned I've actually read much of the first book of Revelation Space. I do like the idea of the mega city on Earth being replaced by massive space ships and space stations.

Along with that the idea of the evil corps dominating in a post-nation state world with a variety of colonies (all of which reflect the cyberpunk tone of dystopian decay work really well)! Especially the poorer "shanty town" like smaller stations etc. as Varyon pointed out!

Also the RyanW feedback idea was helpful too as that helps maintain uniqueness factors.

Lastly, I welcome continuing suggestions! These are all really helpful and have gotten things rolling for me!

So the general framework so far, is a dystopian corporate controlled distant colonies both in space and on planets. Now this raises some new points. Space and asteroid mining results is enormous resources in terms of both building materials, energy, and rarer earth metals than we have today. This would seem to imply post-scarcity. Now, how to approach creating cyberpunk's dystopia of haves and have-nots in such a setting and what would it look like?
Arith Winterfell is offline   Reply With Quote