View Single Post
Old 03-13-2015, 01:49 PM   #8
Nymdok

Default Re: Firsttime GM, has: plot, needs: pointers, persons and polish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbereth View Post
I love you guys already (in a geeky non-romantic sort of way of course). I'm completely floored by your immidiate and enthusiastic helpfulness. I've edited my original post to include what I've come up with thus far.

I'm sorry this post got rather quote-heavy, but it's too close to my bedtime for eloquence.
And we love you from afar with an unrequited reverance usually only found in the longing gaze of a cat as the can opener whirrrs.....

Quote:
I've given them 50pts to start off, with instructions to go nuts-but-reasonable and "any disputes will be settled by loud arguments, with the owner of the game (GM) having the last word"... as per usual when we play board and card games.
50 points is as legit as anything. Since you are starting at such a low point value, if you do go on to get the Basic Set, be permisive in what you let them buy later when they have more things to spend it on.

Quote:
"world under the world" is a perfect description of what I want the game to feel like - even if those "under worlds" won't be revealed until later on.
Creepy sub world of corporate conspiracy is a great place for a lot of fun!

Quote:
The main reason for using Gurps Lite is that the basic set is relatively expensive. I'm not at all averse to spending the cash (and time) if we like it, but it's simply too much, when there's still a risk that we'll all run away screaming half way through the first setting (though I obviously expect we'l love it) I might follow your advice and get the real thing right away anyway - the campaign-building info in Lite feels close to non-existing.
Thats EXACTLY THE POINT. If you like Lite, c'mon back and buy the Basic Set. If you dont, no hard feelings. :)

Just based on what you've described, I can without hesitation recomend Basic Set, Powers, Zombies, Bio-Tech, High Tech and probably ACTION!.

But one step at a time. YOu have LITE. Grow your campaign to the limits of those rules....
Then add Basic Set...then grow to those rules.
Then add whatever you like...and grow to those rules.

Quote:
Thanks for all the tips. Character creation seems slightly less frightening - almost managable - now.
There is nothing frightening about CharGen. It can be one of the richly enjoyable games before the game. Its kinda like the way when people got thier Nintendo Wiis and would fiddle with making the Miis look as close to themselves as possible and then delight when they got it that way.

Quote:
Yay! I know the players, and I have a pretty good idea of what they think of as "the coolest superpower/time period/fictional character ever". Shouldn't be too hard to find a common denominator that allows for different manifestations - a sixth sense, an epic swiss army knife, extra skill-points, +2 IQ for all...
Well, you know your players and that is probably the most important component for running any game. Thats a GREAT start.

Quote:
This simplifiers combat a lot. Brilliant!
If simplified combat is what you're after, then that will help. However, if you ever desire more detail and subtler choices theres Martial Arts, Technical Grappling, Tactical Shooting and a host of other 'gritty' additions that you can choose to purchase or not use as you see fit for your group.

Simple vs Detailed combat is a choice that must be made for every table and every campaign at that table. Some like it, some dont. Some think it fits Spec Ops games but not Dungeon Fantasy or Sci Fi. You'll make your choice in time. For now, just have fun!

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote