Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: Firsttime GM, has: plot, needs: pointers, persons and polish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbereth View Post
Hi :)
Hey.

Quote:
[snip] We're starting out with Gurps Lite, but I would really like to create a scenario that's exciting/complex enough that we'll want to go back to it with a full set of rules later on (without having to make major alterations). I really, really, really want to make a world we can all build on and expand and discuss obscure details in, and not just a quick hack-and-slash setting. Is this even remotely possible to achieve on a first time out, or am I getting in way, way over my head?
This should be very manageable if you build the setting like the plot of a soap opera: a base premise that starts off simple but can expand to include almost anything. Then the players will encounter obscure details one at a time as you make them up, instead of drowning in a sea of exposition at the beginning.

Quote:
I would really appreciate it, if any of you guys have some general newbie-pointers: What should my priorities be, what are common mistakes, what can I wing it through and what should I do absolutely by the book... that sort of thing.
Your priority should be that everybody, including you, is having fun. If the players' eyes start to glaze over while you read a description of something, cut it short. The most common mistake is trying to use everything in the books instead of treating it as a buffet to choose from. I personally recommend doing everything by the book if you're new to GMing, though the book does recommend winging it if things get bogged down or you don't want to bog things down to look up a rule.

Quote:
Particularly I'm stumped on a few points:

NPCs - I'm simply not sure how many/how detailed I should make them, and how often they should be encountered in order to make for an interesting game (not including henchmen-baddies, who are pretty much strong-but-not-too-skilled zombie-types that show up randomly)
Appropriate levels of NPC detail is one of the great undead debates around here; somebody will be along shortly to give each possible response, but it boils down to, "Stat them if it makes you happy or makes running the game easier; don't if it doesn't." I personally do. Frequency depends on the needs of the scenario, and how much the players seem to enjoy NPC interaction.

Quote:
Also, I kindda suck a character creation, but one of the players rock at it - could I give him a general outline and have him make a "sketch" for me to polish off, or is it just a huge stinkin' no-no to outsource GM-duties like that?
As long as the player can be trusted to keep his mouth shut and firewall his own knowledge, outsource away.

Quote:
Bundles of joy - the point of the plot (at least the first leg of it) is to get from A to B without losing your toddler. A dead/kidnapped/abandoned child will result in instant mission fail and void the scenario. I'm unsure if I should construct the toddlers as NPCs or if I should treat them as priceless objects - objects would simplify the game, but NPCs would allow for more realism.
I'd make each toddler a very simple NPC with a one-note personality using the Dependents Disadvantage rules. Each kid is somewhat problematic in some kid-like way that affects adventuring, whether it's an excess of Curiosity (particularly with regard to putting things in their mouth), a tendency to wander away (Impulsiveness + Short Attention Span), a complete inability to avoid blurting out the truth when grown-ups contradict it (Truthfulness + OPH -1: Brutally Honest), various phobias of common things / an absurdly-low Fright Check even for a little kid, or what-have-you.

Quote:
Unexpected Epicness - the scenario is set in "real world gone borderline apocalypse" and the players have been asked to construct their characters accordingly (specifically I've asked them to base the characters on themselves).
You'll probably avoid some debate and possibly hurt feelings if you tell them to base the characters loosely on themselves, but make them better / cooler / more capable to the extent that the budget and realism allow. This will avoid arguments of the, "No F-ing way is your IQ really 14," variety.

Quote:
I would, however, like to incorporate some sort of unexpected gift of supernatural, superhuman or possibly even magic skill/item somewhere along the plotline, as a special treat for the players (and as a device to drive the plot forward). I just have no idea what it should be. It shouldn't be overpowered, obviously, but it also shouldn't be some weak makes-no-difference-anyway skill. I'm all for the idea of expanding the world with more dimensions, strange magical lodges in the woods and the like at some point, but it would simply be too expansive for a first (or second, or third) sitting. An ideas, especially along the mystery/conspiracy-lines will be much appreciated.
We're going to need more information about the nature of the apocalypse before we can suggest thematic special abilities. You mentioned zombies?

Quote:
Oh no! It's a plot hole! - I would really like to construct some sort of plot-hole-fixer for emergencies (like the Doctor has his sonic screwdriver or the supercomputer of Agents of Shield). It doesn't have to be 100% believable, but it's obviously not at all feasible that one of the characters should have a super-computer in her pocket or suddenly sprout wings. Any thoughts/ideas/lessons learned?
I'm not sure I understand this question. As far as I know, the gizmos you mention are used as easy fixes for plot complications; a plot hole is another matter.

The first thing you need to ask yourself when you spot a hole in your plot is: Did the players spot it, too? If not, no problem! If they did, the second thing you need to ask yourself is: Do they seem to care? I have cheerfully played many a game and watched many a movie that insulted my logic skills a little if I was having fun and bought in on the general story. If not, no problem! If they do seem to care, or worse, complain about it before you notice it, you have a problem. A quick hand-wave where you hastily make up a setting detail that puts everything right is the most common solution, but in extreme cases a total retcon of a contradictory setting fact is warranted if it stops everybody from not having fun more than doing a retcon will. Worst case scenario, you realize that your entire scenario doesn't make sense and scrap the game, but that's pretty rare if you thought about it in advance.

Good luck!
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote