View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 02:02 AM   #33
Icelander

Default Re: Treasure from the Sheikh of the Grinning Skull Oasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Ah, I'm a bit rusty on my Realms mythology. Possibly the lesser cloaks induce Callous and OPH: Carrion Breath, while the Greater Cloak will also start causing Compulsive Behaviour: Kill people and leave their bodies for the vultures. Since killing people and dumping their bodies is the sort of thing devotees of Cyric are likely to do anyway, Abu Jafar may not have even been aware of this particular side-effect. It seems in line with
That could work, as long as the Compulsive Behaviour is not all that frequent. They may be bandits, but it is not as if they meet people to kill every single day. There may be weeks where there is no one to fight except fellow members of the band and trade partners that are vital to their survival.

If some of their members kept killing their fellow bandits, thus weakening the power of the Lord of the Grinning Skull, and/or attacking the unscrupulous traders who bought their loot and brought them luxuries instead, thus reducing the wealth and comfort of said Lord, well, the Sheikh would not have been kind about that sort of behaviour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
A Block might help, with a large enough shield, although you're going to need a new shield after that.
Yes, I might treat a successful Block the same as I do it for breath weapons and the like, as providing the Cover DR of the shield to areas of the character's choice, limited by the size of the shield.

Then I calculate damage for the least protected area and the most protected area (counting Cover DR here), sum them and divide by two.*

*A slightly modified method of calculating area attack damage to un-Sealed armour.