View Single Post
Old 09-25-2020, 03:37 PM   #6
zoncxs

Default Re: Oakeshott Typology Broadswords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
Has anyone ever sat down and figured out where various sword types as defined by Ewart Oakeshott fall between regular Broadswords and Thrusting Broadswords? Some seem fairly self-explanatory. For example, I would assume that an Oakeshott Type X would be a Broadsword, while a Type XV would clearly be a Thrusting Broadsword. It seems to me that the Type XIV would probably be the first that could be considered a Thrusting Broadsword, despite Oakeshott grouping them with swords that are designed primarily for cutting. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? and are there any articles or previous threads on this subject that I've missed?
I have.

Most fall under Thrusting Broad sword. A few under Longsword. And the rest (not a lot) under Bastard sword. And lastly thrusting Greatsword.

Going off of Albion swords site for reference pics for people to know what I mean:

Thrusting Broadswords
Type X
Type Xa
Type XI
Type XII
Type XIV
Type XV
Type XVI
Type XVIII
Type XIX

Long Sword
Type XVa
Type XVIIIc

Bastard Sword
Type XIIa
Type XIII
Type XVIa
Type XVII
Type XVIIIb
Type XX
Type XXa

Thrusting Greatsword
Type XIIIa
Type XVIIIe

I have handled most of these weapons and this is where I would put those types. Maybe a few of the ones under bastard sword can go under longsword, but that requires me to get my hands on them again.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote