View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #158
Icelander

Default Re: Emerging smokepowder weapons in my fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Go with glass. You get cutting shrapnel instead of crushing or piercing fragments. This becomes even more lethal if your mages know how to get creative (even if only for a limited number of these).
Cast-iron and bronze both yield cutting fragments. While glass might produce sharper shrapnel, it is also much less dense than metals and thus it loses velocity more rapidly and penetrates less. And getting the same functionality as a pressure containment unit as a metal shell requires much more volume of material, which means a larger and more unwieldy projectile. That means it's harder to use in a sling, less accurate and gets less distance, whether thrown or slung.

All in all, I expect to need stats for a glass grenade in this size range, but they will be unlikely to match the performance of bronze/iron ones. They are far more economical, however.

Quote:
If slinging this far enough to not kill yourself is a problem, load dozens of these into a catapult and bombard the enemy camp.
Catapult and ballista ammunition will probably be spherical instead of biconical, for ease of use and because a technique is needed to take advantage of the biconical shape.

But I definitely plan to include several sizes of shells for their artillery, whether smokepowder or artillery. In fact, I probably have already posted some stats for them in this thread.

At least I discuss the weapons they are using. They are starting to adopt small cannon as well, but those are prohibitively expensive to shoot frequently, so mechanical artillery has a major role to play as well.

Quote:
With the iron/lead/bronze wire wrapped around them, probably. The resulting shrapnel is just a bonus with those.
I'm fairly confident in the stats for those, yes. What I'm worried about is whether it's possible to use just the ceramic vessels as concussion grenades or whether that would be insufficient containment and I ought to reduce final damage because part of the explosive merely burns up instead of exploding.