View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
ErhnamDJ

Default Carrying vs Lifting

Lifting ST covers two things:

1) Carrying things. Like a backpack, or a donkey's pack, or worn armor.

2) The ability to lift things. Like a man lifting a gate so the party can pass, or a rescue worker trying to move a tree someone is trapped under, or a weightlifter in competition.

There are competitions for both uses of Lifting ST: there are carrying competitions and there are also weightlifting competitions. Someone who excels at one doesn't necessarily excel at the other. Think of small women who can bear a lot of weight, but who can hardly lift any weight at all off the ground.

From this, I figure that Lifting ST ought to be separated into two different kinds of ST: Lifting ST and Carrying ST.

What I'm talking about is having one of them affect your encumbrance and the other being the total amount you can move around.

What is the best way to handle that? Should it be a limitation on Lifting ST if you only want one variety? Would it be Lifting ST (Carrying only, -50%)?

Or should I split them into two separate traits? That would have the advantage of allowing more limitations to be placed on one. If it's a limited version of Lifting ST, then it would only be able to take an extra -30% of limitations, but if I was trying to do this for a large creature with a size limitation of -80%, then that would be a big price difference for that trait.

Are they both worth the same, or is one of them worth more than the other? I could price them both at 1.5/level, or I could price one as 2 and the other as 1. It seems to me like carrying is much more useful, so I would probably split them into Carrying at 2/level and Lifting at 1/level. That seems like a nice breakdown which allows us to preserve Lifting ST the way we have it now. Only it breaks down into two constituent traits.

Thoughts?

My blog.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote