View Single Post
Old 11-01-2022, 08:10 PM   #14
mburr0003

Default Re: DFRPG questions: Discrepancy/errata (?) edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
4) Your procedures for searching sound fine. I only note that the book's text isn't clear. I'd like to see future updates note in both descriptions that Search is indeed used for searching packs/wagons, not only pockets, bodies, etc.
Just a note, not sure if it's been mentioned in thread...

Search† has undergone a slight shift over the course of 4e, it started in GURPS Basic Characters as "This is the ability to search people, baggage, and vehicles for items that aren’t in plain sight."

However it quickly became clear that there needed to be a "find stuff in an area" skill, so it was expanded in Action 2 Exploits and as well in After the End 2 The New World‡.

However in Dungeon Fantasy 2 Dungeons search remained relegated to patting down bodies for loot, not scouring whole rooms (for that see either Scrounging or Observation). This is carried over to DFRPG (I do like that in DFRPG how to 'search' a room is called in out in the skill description for Search).

† As well as Observation. In the DF/RPG line it's become the "search" for hidden things skill. Which is fine, the skill was needed after all... and it does minimize skill bloat a bit. I'm just annoyed a little by it is all... personally I use Search for "active searching" and Observation for "passive noticing", but that's my house rule. The other skills then can either substitute in for specific uses (Traps mostly) or act as a Complimentary Skill if lower.

‡ But only for finding specific items in an area in AtE. Finding "loot" in an area in AtE requires Scrounging or other specific skills, not Search.
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote