View Single Post
Old 08-19-2015, 02:05 PM   #41
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Converting "Problematic" Spells to Powers

To those claiming that Time Control 10 is an appropriate way to do suspend time: you're relying on a divide by zero effect. would you allow someone with time control 9 to act 9 times each round? because that's quite similar to what you are describing. Control tends to be quite fast and loose in how it works. And in gurps its best to pay for the effects.

Suspend time has two main effects:
1) You are removed from the situation you are in for a time. You are in a little world of your own, where you can spend as much time as you want, undisturbed. This is clearly modeled by jumper (pocket dimension). You can effect the outer world, but you can't move around, and you are impeded in your efforts to do so. This is modeled by the tunnel effect on jumper.
2) When you are done doing whatever in your pocket dimension, you are returned to the time that you left at. This is fairly clearly a use of jumper (time), with only one possible time you can jump to.

If this feels complicated, this is not a straightforward spell, nor a common effect in fiction. It takes up about half of the page its on. You probably shouldn't be able to model it by saying something as simple as control time 10.

I'll also point out that this build replicates the powerful but non-broken spell rather than the ability to walk around the world looking for perfect shots and then essentially warping a mile a way.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote