View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 11:55 PM   #60
vierasmarius

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy on the cheap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
IMHO up to a point the higher levels of AD&D are better simulated via cinematic then going nuts with the point totals but past that point you are going to have to let the point total increase.

This brings up another issue--how much of the character's power is tied to the world rather than to themselves? When I converted Lina Inverse I found it saner to treat her spells per the Ritual Magic system then build them piecemeal and this makes her only 421 points.

If you go back to the DMG1 it is made quite clear that spell power does not come from the mage but rather from the Inner and Outer Planes. Cut that off (as in Q1 Queen of the Demonweb Pits or Dragon 100's "City Beyond the Gate") and most classes are in a world of hurt: magical abilities will work poorly if at all and spells are majorly crippled or worse work in strange and bizarre ways.
This is a suggestion I really like. I've been compulsively fiddling with the magic system for a while now, mostly transforming spells into powers, while eying the Ritual Magic system and wishing I could do more with it. Are there rules for developing new Rituals, or is that just a matter of GM fiat?
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote