Thread: TL9 Heavy Tank
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2023, 12:06 AM   #160
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: TL9 Heavy Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
The Light Tank in UT has the gun separate and then 10 100mm missiles in vertical tubes behind the turret.

Getting the full-sized 100mm missile ahead of a propellant charge into the gun breach is hard enough. How much the gun could add to velocity or range is also dubious. Velocity of the 100mm missile is already 2000 yards per second and it's horizontal range in direct fire is 10,000 yards.

You might could stretch the range by firing at a high angle and not having the rocket motor kick in until it reaches the peak of the gun's trajectory but that would have you firing well over the horizon and you have the problem of telling the 100mm missile component what you want it to hit.

Heavily armored tank turrets usually aren't compatible with high angle capability anyway.

You might find a use for a dedicated high angle gun mount used to boost 100mm missile altitudes but that's an Area Air Defense Vehicle rather than a tank.
Gun-launched missiles were a feature of Soviet tank armament. The US attempt went poorly, but clearly it's feasible possible. I don't think the point is so much adding kick to the missile as having a missile launch tube that you can load and fire from inside the vehicle (as opposed to the externally-mounted launchers you see on some vehicles.)

And it might be more practical than planting a bunch of VLS tubes where most tanks put their engine compartment...