View Single Post
Old 08-03-2020, 08:30 PM   #5
Say, it isn't that bad!

Default Re: In which I post about a TL9 solar system

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
TL9 is really slow advancement by 2200, as we are on the cusp of early TL9 in several technological fields. At TL9, AI warships are either stupid or inflexible, and are barely capable of following orders, much less acting independently. For example, a SM+12 control is Complexity 8, which is enough for an IQ 10 Volitional AI. If your are spending $2-$4 billion on a warship, you do not give it to something that is no smarter than the average human, not unless you really want to lose every conflict.
We are already designing automated drones that can carry out missions with minimal human oversight, with a goal of no human oversight, including automatic threat identification, automatic detection of attackers, and automatic retaliation.

There is a tendency to assign human-level thought as a requirement to any task that an AI cannot currently do; and to treat as "Not AI" any task which a computer can accomplish.

That being said, a drone is not the same thing as a warship, and I have already instituted "soft wall" computer development.

Overall, I find myself partial to agreeing with your critique here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
At TL9, fighter carriers actually make sense, as the carrier possesses high delta-v while the fighters possess high thrust (AKVs are too dumb at TL9, so human fighters actually still make sense). A Jovian Alliance would not make sense at TL9 without superscience, the radiation from Jupiter is just too intense (a Saturn Alliance, with control over the highly valuable nitrogen reserves of Titan, would make much more sense). Venus is impossible to settle, much less terraform, at TL9.
I have been somewhat considering whether the Earth-Mars Alliance, whose major advantage can be summed up as "We have reserves!", would be the one to introduce carriers.

I was aware the radiation from Jupiter was intense, but not aware that it was intense to the point of forbidding colonization of its moons! That is very intense. Jovian Alliance now Saturn Alliance - which gives Neptune and Uranus their own reasons to bid for independence.

The Venusian Revitalization Project basically amounts to well-wishes, future plans, scientific studies, and siphoning off traces of greenhouse gases from the very upper layer of atmosphere. Art sales include gemstones coloured by inclusions of compressed atmospheric materials.

Alright, so I agree with most of your suggestions. Initial timeline soon.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote