View Single Post
Old 09-01-2019, 05:34 AM   #87
coronatiger

Default Session 22 (2019-08-25)

Thoughts on December 21st

We packed up after breakfast and left the temple behind. I hoped Va’lyndra would concentrate on the navigation as we traveled. If she didn’t, we might remain in the wilderness forever. The weather was still warmish, and we had a pleasant ride through the woods.

When we made camp in the evening, something occurred to me, and I asked the others, “Did anyone remember to retrieve the statue piece from the altar before we left?” Luckily, my companions aren’t as scatterbrained as me, and Lady Karita patted one of her packs, demonstrating that we, collectively, hadn’t forgotten it.

Thoughts on December 22nd

The temperature dropped during the night, and gray clouds threatened us with snow when we woke up, but it wasn’t until around midday that the first snowflakes touched the ground. They melted almost as soon as they landed, and we weren’t hampered at all during today’s travel.

Thoughts on December 23rd

Snow fell lightly for most of the day, and while the ground was mostly bare, we began seeing patches of white here and there. We crossed an overgrown road in the afternoon, but otherwise, the journey was rather dull. I practiced balance while we traveled.

Thoughts on December 24th

We kept moving north today, but turned slightly to the east after a while, skirting a mountainous area.

I look forward to reaching Garuk. A soft bed and decent food would be most agreeable. I’m getting sick and tired of bear meat and travel rations. And a hot bath would be divine. And I think I need to go shopping. This coat is becoming tight over the shoulders, and I don’t think there’s enough spare fabric for Olivia to do anything. I believe I’m putting on some muscle (I hope it’s muscle), so I also think I’m going to look for a new bow, one with a heavier pull. And I should restock arrows and healing potions, too. It’s going to be expensive. I really hope we’re getting paid for this job.

Thoughts on December 25th

When I rose this morning, a thin layer of white covered everything, and the sky was clear. I smiled, recalling the joyful winters of my childhood years. Memories of playing in the snow flashed before my eyes, and I remembered sipping my mother’s warm soup after long hours of play. A snowball struck my helmet and brought me out of my reveries.

I looked around. Ilzo had retired to bed after waking us, so only Olivia and I were out in the pre-dawn air. My lover was looking innocently in another direction, but her stance shouted her guilt. She knew I was coming for her, and had unconsciously spread her legs, preparing for a tackle. Olivia knew a thing or two about wrestling from a couple of years back, but stood no chance against my onslaught. I grabbed the front of her jacket and twisted her around as I passed her, dropping to the ground. I made sure she landed on top of me – I wouldn’t want her to get hurt, after all – and then rolled over, pinning her under me. She squealed delightfully under my ambush, and I put my mouth over hers so she wouldn’t wake Lady Karita.

After a while, Olivia reminded me that we were supposed to keep watch. She worked her jaw and tongue as we made the rounds, checking on the animals. Maybe we’d lain there a little longer than I thought. The sky was noticeably lighter, too. I yawned.

A little after midday, our party reached a village. It looked long abandoned, and we could see no tracks in the snow. We decided to check it out. Olivia watched the animals as usual.

Va’lyndra identified the mansion and the church as interesting places to search, and discovered a hollow wall in the church. I asked if we had anything heavy that Ilzo could use to break through the wall, but Lady Karita wanted to find the opening mechanism. A quick look around revealed a small, broken lever. Va’lyndra made a battering ram, and Ilzo and I made a hole in the wall. In the small space inside we found a rusted suit of armor and some old bones. And a silver wand. Magical, according to Va’lyndra.

We walked back to Olivia and resumed our journey. In the evening, Lady Karita declared that we had left the map. That meant that it wouldn’t be many days before we’d see signs of human civilization again! I forgot to ask her how Va’lyndra’s detour messed up her mapmaking attempts.

Thoughts on December 26th

To say that the forest became more familiar would be a vast exaggeration of my experience at woodcraft, but I got a feeling that we’re approaching human lands again. Maybe it’s only the yearning for the luxuries of civilization that makes me feel this way.

Thoughts on December 27th

The forest was as foresty as it has been forever. We’ve truly been lucky with the weather lately, for the snow is still not deep enough to delay us. Roots and straws rose out of the white, protesting the coming winter, urging us to move forward while autumn still had a say.

Thoughts on December 28th

I’m starting to get bored with this forest. I practiced acrobatics as we put mile after mile behind us. I miss the crowds and the cheers. Instead, tree replaced tree, hill replaced hill, and everywhere, snow. Gah!

Thoughts on December 29th

I guess I should be thankful that nothing happens to delay us. But, oh! The monotony!

Thoughts on December 30th

The thin layer of snow melted away as autumn made a last, frantic attempt to hang on. We can’t be far from Urdon now. I decided not to pester Lady Karita and Va’lyndra with questions of “are we there, yet”. We’ll get there when we get there, but my god, I’m sick of this forest!

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue

Last edited by coronatiger; 09-01-2019 at 05:42 AM.
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote