Thread: GURPS Uplift
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 10:45 PM   #46
Johnny1A.2

Default Re: GURPS Uplift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
This would have been something ideal to put into Ultra-Tech or Bio-Tech...

For those who HAVEN'T read Contacting Aliens, or even know what Uplift is...

In the Uplift universe, galactic civilization predates human existence by a couple of billion years (give or take a few hundred million). Races are uplifted (i.e., taken from a presentient animal state to full-fledged, reasonably responsible galactic citizens) over a period measured in tens of thousands of years. These "clients" then owe allegiance to their "patrons" and to the "clan" (i.e., the various races that have been raised in a chain going back to the last still-active species).
I so loved Sundiver and Startide Rising (I read the latter first), they were marvelously creative and imaginative, and the setting was so intricately thought out. Kithrup was felt so 'real', so believably rendered, that when Streaker left it felt as if they were leaving home, almost.

I must admit to being deeply disappointed in the sequel series written years later, on many levels. Continuity, 'feel', plot logic, it just didn't feel like the same characters or the same universe, and some of it seemed totally at odds with the previous stories.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote