View Single Post
Old 04-13-2021, 11:14 AM   #14
Hide

Default Re: [Social Engineering / Basic Set] Doubling hireling pay increases loyalty by too m

Quote:
Originally Posted by FezzedOne View Post
Under Loyalty Checks on page B519, it says that hirelings get a +1 to loyalty for every 10% by which their pay exceeds what's normal. This presents a problem, since if you pay your hireling double the normal pay for their job, their loyalty will increase by +10. If their loyalty was, say, Neutral, that means it will now be Excellent and the NPC will be willing to die for their employer. The same problematic rule is reiterated on page 39 of Social Engineering. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this issue and how people go about fixing it (or ignoring it).
Did not you know? This is the method The Empire employs with Stormtroopers!

But seriously, where is the problem? If you are a player character and decide to hire an NPC, you’ve got to keep a wallet full of money and ponder whether it is for you or for someone else.

Dungeon Fantasy wise, if you hire a single 125 CP henchmen for one month that will be at least $ 1,500 (x1.5 your TL3 starting money) and if you want to pay double, then it is $3,000 (x3 your TL3 starting money), not to mention henchmen require a reimbursement for goods expended and have random traits.

You will probably have to spend your own CP in advantages such as wealth or sacrificing your quirks (DFRPG) to earn an extra coin, which ultimately reduces the budget and capabilities of your PC.

The trade-off seems quite fair; but at this point I would rather get an ally tailored by myself instead of hiring a random guy.

If you are thinking of mid-game or end-game situations, things might be a little different. But I still believe you will have to think twice before choosing between buying an epic plate armor or hiring a 125 CP NPC.