View Single Post
Old 04-08-2021, 07:55 AM   #27
EskrimadorNC

Default Re: table make why does random hit location hitting left side more likely?

So the current Random Hit Location table has some problems.

From a Simulation standpoint, you get wonky results like the Torso only showing up about 1-in-4 rolls, and additional stuff like rolling "Foot" when an NPC throws a punch at a random target. Clearly, you can ignore results like that, but why have the table setup like that in the first place?

From a Game Mechanics standpoint, it very much favors non-torso hits. In melee combat especially, most non-torso targets are high value, and you bypass the difficulty of hitting one specific location. I've seen this play out in my early games where players who didn't want to take the penalties for hitting limbs or HVTs would just opt for a random roll, and very rarely end up with the torso.

I also fell like a unified Melee/Ranged RHL chart never really felt right in the games I ran.

My solution was this:
  • Create separate RHL charts for Ranged and Melee attacks
  • Revise the distribution so that Torso is the most common/likely result, and Arms, Legs, and Face are less likely/edge cases
  • Extremely High Value Targets like the Neck, Skull, Hands, Feet, and Groin are pulled from the list. There is no free lunch. If you want to hit those spots, you have to target them deliberately and suffer the penalty.

Disclaimer: This approach has worked really well in my games, and my players agree that when a randomly targeted attack does occur, the results fit what they expect. Of course the emergent behavior is the PCs tend not to bother armoring those locations as much. And that just makes it easier for me when they encounter foes that are well trained in "defanging the snake".
EskrimadorNC is offline   Reply With Quote