View Single Post
Old 04-07-2021, 08:54 AM   #134
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Blog: Worlds Beyond Earth

The Generic Beast Template

I recently started a game in which over half of the PC's took an animal companion of one kind or another. Completely without prompting. This meant that I had to come up with not only stats for the animals, but also point values for the animal allies.

I've always had a shaky grasp of just how much animal allies in gurps were or were not worth. The Animal Companions in DF are in a category of their own, and not a great base for other animals. I've always wanted to run a shapeshifter, but have been unsure of what animals a given morph pool will allow.

So I made the Generic Beast Template. This template has as its goal being able to estimate just how much a given animal template costs, both as a wild animal and as an alternate form. It does this with a base template and a handful of lenses. I've taken it for a few test drives, and so far, it looks pretty reliable.

So if you want to know how much an animal costs to build, and to know it quickly... this is the template for you.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote