View Single Post
Old 01-07-2020, 04:30 AM   #18
Tomsdad

Default Re: [HT] Grenades fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
It's incredible amounts of time. Unless you're enforcing Lulls and Perception/Tactics rolls for OODA looping. Then yeah, 5 seconds can go by very fast.

Alright, it's the games I've been in and run. But if this is not the standard, I'd like to hear how other GMs kept PCs from just walking away from grenades (or deal with anyone they suspected were cooking one off).

I run the fuse time, yes sometimes some will react by moving away from the grenade, or by getting some cover between them and the grenade. but a few points:

1). you have to know the grenade is coming and where it landed, in the middle of a loud chaotic fire fight that is not easy let alone automatic

2). Doing so might put you in a worse situation, e.g if I chuck a grenade through the window of the house you are in and my mate is sitting with a wait covering the door with his assault rifle.

3). Just getting you to re-position or get out the way might be a win for me anyway! (it stops you from shooting at me for instance)

On PCs dealing with someone cooking a grenade off,

1). they have to know that it's happening (see 1. above)

2). you can ready and cook a grenade while you are out of sight or behind cover out of the PC's LOS, and then briefly appear long enough to throw the thing at them. I.e you don't run out in front of the PC and then spend 2-3 turns readying the grenade, starting the fuse and cooking the grenade in plain sight before throwing it at them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
In real life people either don't notice the grenade in all the noise and excitement (possibly to replicate in GURPS with strict use of Perception checks, etc.), or can't move far enough because of obstacles and/or enemy fire (also easily replicable in GURPS).
yep

Last edited by Tomsdad; 01-07-2020 at 05:27 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote