View Single Post
Old 08-08-2022, 11:28 AM   #1
hal

Default Building Trauma Team using GURPS ULTRATECH

Hello Folks,
As I get into the implications of thing here and there, something caught my attention from the Video game, and it made me dig into it a little deeper.

Cyberpunk 2020 and Cyberpunk 2077 have this service called "Trauma Team". The premise is simple enough - the card paying member is entitled to emergency medical response in a manner that also includes removing the member's body from immediate harm, by means of force if necessary. The fun part is, Trauma Team's service level agreement is such that they have to respond to your call within 7 minutes. Actual time taken is randomly rolled as 1d6+1 minutes.

Now for the fun part. How does the Trauma Team know how to find you? There is a reference to platinum level membership, which implies there are lesser levels of Trauma Team memberships, which in turn, implies that the service levels involved can be as cheap as or as expensive a policy as one might wish to have.

Ignoring the fact that GURPS 4e doesn't have a vehicle design system that permits one to "build" a vehicle from scratch, one either has to utilize GURPS VEHICLE DESIGNER 2nd edition, or one simply eyeballs the stats based on converting the CP2020 stats over for use with GURPS VEHICLE stats.

But here is where it can be fun trying to mix and match GURPS for use with CP2020. For instance, the use of Emergency support unit (see UT97), means that characters who have suffered mortal wounds can be stabiliized sufficiently to be transported to a trauma team in a surgical operating theater. An ESU can also maintain the bodily functions of a dead body in a manner such as to preserve the body from brain death presuming of course, the brain wasn't destroyed outright, or the body is so badly perforated that it is bleeding to death non-stop.

Which brings me to the next thought: RESUSCITATION. Resuscitation can be performed on a body that is not breathing, and can be performed on a newly dead body on an operating table. One could for example, extrapolate that even if a character dies outright (failed a death saving roll), a newly arrived Emergency Medical Technician could attempt to resuscitate the character.

Ultimately, the medical benefits to a player character who has this level of medical insurance benefits are tremendous. But the implications of such a service are perhaps equally of interest.

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/scourge-of-shards-schpdx

Go to bottom of page to see lectures 1-11
hal is offline   Reply With Quote