View Single Post
Old 08-07-2022, 07:59 PM   #29
RGTraynor

Default Re: what does a recently founded fantasy city look like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Assuming that you can keep a thousand poorly-supervised children focused on the task . . .
If they want to eat, they'll get focused. If they don't get focused, then we're going to see some attrition. We're talking TL2 here, not 21st century suburban helicopter parents. Iron Age civilization neither had the luxury nor the inclination to coddle children, and with that ratio, they'd be no more poorly supervised than in their homeland.

Quote:
Scribes, etc. wouldn't be that common in a typical city.
... pardon? You're joking, surely? Scribes/clerks/recordkeepers have been a significant element in just about every city, in every culture, from the point from which writing was invented on forward.

Quote:
What virtually any suburban or semi-urban low tech person would have is a greater familiarity with animal handling and gardening.
I don't disagree. Would you mind quoting the bit from the OP that said "suburban or semi-urban" instead of "doomed TL2 city"?

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote