View Single Post
Old 05-07-2021, 07:45 AM   #34
Varyon

Default Re: GURPS Overhaul: Combat Skills, Take 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
I'd pretty much just use Throwing (DX/A) and allow specialization by type (which IIRC, converts it to DX/E).
Being as I was making the list while I was posting, I think I went overboard with the number of Thrown Weapon skills. I think your solution of Throwing at DX/A, with Optional Specializations matching the various DX/E skills I listed, works better. Atlatl would be an "Exotic Weapon," at -2 to hit unless you've bought the relevant Proficiency/Training (can't recall which it's called) Perk. I'm tempted to give axes a similar treatment, but I'll hold off on that for now. I feel Sling would be a completely separate skill rather than a penalized Exotic Weapon, but with a decent default with Throwing, but I don't have any experience to go off of (granted, I don't have any experience with an atlatl either, but it seems straightforward enough).

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
I'd make them:
Guns (pistol caliber SMG, pistols, handbow, flare gun)
Guns (long arm)
Guns (heavy: bipods, tripods, vehicle mounted firearms, unguided rockets)
Guns (unguided artillery such as cannons, mortars, catapults, scorpio)
... with fairly generous defaults/techniques between other Gun specialties.
I'm largely comfortable with the divisions from Alternate Guns Specialties, but I'll admit I like your treatment of Gunner here as well - it looks like you've integrated Gunner into the Guns skill, with only two required specialties of it, and merged Guns (Law) into one of those. I also like Tyneras' idea of merging Crossbow into Guns (Longarm) and (Pistol), depending.

So, roughly, something like:

Thrown Weapon (DX/A): Optional Specialties are Ball, Net, Disk, Dart, Spear, Knife, Sword, and Axe. Atlatl's are at -2, negated by a Perk. Defaults to Sling-3.
Sling (DX/H): Defaults to Thrown Weapon-3.
Blowgun (DX/A)
Bow (DX/A)
Guns (DX/H): Optional Specialties are Pistol, Longarm, Heavy, and Artillery. Defaults to Beams-3.
Beams (DX/H): Optional Specialties are Pistol, Longarm, Heavy, and Artillery. Defaults to Guns-3. Note in some settings, Beam Weapons simply use Guns instead, and this skill doesn't exist.

Probably go with the same -5 default as for melee weapons. I'm tempted not to have any adjustment to this for different difficulties (indeed, I'm considering abandoning that for melee weapons as well).