View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 03:12 AM   #136
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: RPM Rituals: Official, Semi-, Quasi- and Un-official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
In GURPS terms, RPM magic is fairly new in the setting. In the 1980s, mostly only those with Advantages like Channeler, Medium, Postcognition, Precognition and similar could experience supernatural phenomena.

By the 1990s, it was possible to work ancient rituals or rituals from still living traditions. There was little flexibility and heavily penalised effect-shapingPath/Book magic fits it best, with only minor rituals having a chance of working.

Only around 2000 or so had study of Thaumatology progressed to the point that RPM rules could be used, but even then, the massive penalties involved meant that few rituals produced useful or even detectable effect.

You may feel that it's far too difficult to cast spells at 2018, but compared to the past couple of centuries, the world is awash in magic.
So my question then becomes did they use another system of magic before this awakening or did they use RPM? Maybe whatever magical block that was functioning temporarily enhanced magic - like water escaping a bottle - until an equilibrium was reached. That could be interesting as a GM - a sudden outpouring of magic in the early years allowed someone to do something that can't be done today even with the world being "awash in magic."

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote