View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #8
gilbertocarlos

Default Re: GILBERTO REVISED LOW TECH WEAPONS TABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
[Has any player actually ever said "yes, I'd like a blunt-tipped sword"?])
The closest example I had was when a player wanted a broadsword, bought the first item on the list, and didn't saw that it was GdP+1 cr, and then later said: I thrust to the vitals, then, we had a discussion because I said he can't hit vitals with a crushing weapon, and he saying that a broadsword by default has a pointy end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
One question about that damage, though: Are the damage multipliers set by fiat? Or are they calculated from some inputs in a subsystem that I'm missing?
Basics are:
One handed weapons are *1.5. Two Handed ones are *2.
Any weapon can have a +, but this multiplies damage by *0.8. The more +, the worst the weapon is at going through armor.
Unbalanced weapons multiply damage by *1.25.
If it may get stuck, it is another *1.2.
The smaller cousin of a weapon get's damage multiplied by *0.8.
Curved swords algo get their thrust damage multiplied by *0.8, but are cheaper.
Some results were adjusted, rounded etc...

So, for example, a Broadsword starts with *1.5, but it is very bad against armor, so, it get's "++", and damage is multiplied by *0.8². The result is *0.96, rounded up to *1. Thrusting with a broadsword is not so bad, and, as such, they keep the *1.5.

An axe is a blade, and as such, is not the best weapon against armor, but is better than a sword. so, it get's one "+", but, it's also unbalanced, increasing damage, *0.8 cancels *1.25, and as such, axes are *1.5 +. The small axe is the little cousin of the axe, his damage is multiplied by *0.8, the result is *1.2 +.

A (dueling)halberd got a thrusting attack like a spear, one like a pick, and a cutting attack like an axe.
The base damage for a two handed weapon is *2. That's what the spear-like attack have.
The cutting damage for it follows the same reasoning as an axe. So, it's *2+.
The pick-like damage is *1.25 for being unbalanced and *1.2 for getting stuck, the final result is *3.

Some weapons got edited, for example, the great sword should do *1.28, yet, it does *1.4, part because of the Conan feel, part because it gotta have a bigger difference with the bastard sword. Another example is bad engineered weapons, like some "monk" polearms.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote