View Single Post
Old 05-06-2021, 07:19 PM   #10
Sorenant

Default Re: [MH] Inhuman Templates: Yōkai

Here's the tweaked Oni template. As mentioned above I reduced Regeneration to Regular and bought Discriminatory Smell and an extra level of ST. I could have used the 10 points leftover for something else but I really want an Oni to be a (mostly) man-sized bulldozers capable of throwing regular man with one hand. Assuming the use of Inhuman template, it totals ST 21 or BL 250, which better matches the "more than a match for a dozen men" part of the description.

ONI
200 points

Attribute Modifiers: ST+8 [80]; DX+1 [20]; HT+3 [30].
Secondary Characteristics Modifiers: SM+1 [0]; Will+2 [10]
Advantages: Damage Resistance 4 (Tough Skin, -40%) [12]; Discriminatory Smell [15]; Fangs [2]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Striker (Horns; Large Piercing) [6]; Recovery [10]; Regeneration (Regular) [25]; Resistant to Metabolic Hazards (+3) [10].
Perks: Focused Fury [1].
Disadvantages: Impulsiveness (12) [-10]; Overconfidence (12) [-5]; Social Stigma (Monster) [-15].
Quirks: Alcoholism [-1].
And here's the Tengu template. I feel the disadvantages part lacks some character but I don't want to overload the racial template with it; The Motivational Lens and Inhuman template will add a lot of it on top.
To differentiate from Christopher R. Rice's Tengu, and taking the advantage of the higher point budget, I gave the template Weapon Master (Swords) instead of sword related talent. I also chose to use the rarely used Long-Distance Vision instead of Acute Vision or Telescopic Vision because I feel it fits the cinematic nature of MH genre and doesn't give any bonus to ranged combat. I think the combination of these two traits serves as a clear message that this character is supposed to fight like a swashbuckler, not a sniper using flight and telescoping vision to strike from afar.

TENGU
200 points

Legends says Tengus were born from a shooting star bringing bad omens. There might be some truth to this idea as most Tengus delights on witnessing, and sometimes causing, misery among humans. However not all of them are malicious creatures. Like Karura and Kurama before, you are willing to aid humans and lead them to glory.

Attribute Modifiers: ST+2 [80]; DX+2 [40]; IQ+2 [40]; HT+2 [20].
Secondary Characteristics Modifiers: Will+2 [10]; Per+2 [10]
Advantages: Flight (Winged, -25%); Long-Range Vision* [10]; Sharp Beak [1]; Sharp Claws [5]; Weapon Master (Swords) [35].
Perks: Feather [1].
Disadvantages: Overconfidence (9) [-7]; Social Stigma (Monster) [-15].
Note: In my games I split IQ from Will and Per, so the total increase on these secondary characteristics from this template should be +2, not +4.
*Application of Long-Range 1 (+100%) on Vision, use Long-Distance Modifiers for Vision rolls.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote