View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 04:27 AM   #7
vierasmarius

Default Re: Fireball Wristband

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Oh -- and here's the alternative from my homebrew setting.

Spell Stones are specifically said to be usable by nonmages. They're one-use, but not terribly expensive for a 1-FP spell, which can be Q&D'd. ($50/stone, plus whatever an hour's work from a couple of enchanters costs in your area. A 2-FP stone is $120 and can be Q&D'd with four enchanters. As it happens, the gem requirements are cheaper in that setting but this isn't relevant to you.)

The locals put these in lightning repeaters, which have a simple gearing system that crushes a spell stone and chambers a new one. The aiming can use Guns/TL3^ (lightning repeater) instead of Innate Attack (spell). RoF 1, RcL 0, Acc 0, attack stats as per the spell in the stone. Quirk of the Concentration maneuver, of course, says they can't be double-wielded.
I like that option. It reminds me of the Caster Gun from Outlaw Star (a very fun and very, very silly anime). I'd probably make the ammunition a little cheaper (tens of dollars rather than a hundred) to keep it a useful alternative to archers, but that's getting even further away from the RAW enchantment.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote