View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Fist! related question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
And Pyramid #3/31: Monster Hunters is out now. Christopher Rice wanted to use Fist! in his treatment of TL6 "Pulp Hunters," so he asked me to vet some new rules and clarifications for it. The version you see there is intended to be the best of all worlds when it comes to unarmed combat:

1. It receives its +1 bonus at DX and its +2 at DX+1 (like Karate).
2. That bonus applies to strikes, slams, shoves, grappling ST, etc. (like Karate, Sumo Wrestling, and Wrestling).
3. It has no penalty to parry weapons (like Karate).
4. It receives the full retreat bonus, but is not penalized for encumbrance (like Boxing).

Plus it replaces every physical roll you might need to make when fighting unarmed, and a bunch of mental ones, too.
Yeah, in my original draft I had given too few bonuses (which PK kindly pointed out) and offered me a few suggestions which eventually turned into the Fist! skill.

Personally I think the Rev. started a revolution with how he treated Wildcard! skills in Monster Hunters. Before it was simply a cost effective replacement skill, mostly worth the points, now, however, they are just plain awesome.

Now making Alan Quartermain or even a Slayer from Buffy is much easier, though I don't know if I personally would play a character with Fist! Getting that close in without something that can do cutting, impaling or piercing damage might really suck when facing certain monsters from MH3. Although I suppose Pressure Points and Pressure Secrets might make it more useful if allowed. I can see it now, Pressure Secrets to rip out a vamp's heart... :)

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote