Thread: Feats!
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2021, 01:33 PM   #20
Kieddicus

Default Re: Feats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
The usage I'm familiar with in D&D jargon refers to a a feat (or chain of feats) that becomes obligatory, either because it's too good not to take, or because it's a practical necessity for a character of that class...
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I never got big into TTRPGs ofther than TFT and it has been sometime since I played regularly so I am behind on jargon. And feat tax is a concern of mine, which is why I am planning on players have exactly one feat, no more no less; additionally I wanted to come up with at least 2 if not three feats per play style that way players still had some options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
The 'obligatory option' is definitely one of the hazards of tinkering with a well balanced system. I think a good rule of thumb with TFT is that if you add an option that is clearly a net advantage over most or all characters who lack it in a Melee-arena combat situation, then you've damaged the balance in the system and are on your way to game breaking 'ideal builds'
I agree!
However I can't get past the idea that wizards for some reason learn everything about life at half the rate as everyone else, but I know if you made talents cost the same for both heroes and wizards than the game wouldn't work.

My goal is to make a system that allows wizards to learn of to climb and swim like everyone else while still keeping heroes and wizards balanced.
Instead of feats I could give all heroes the same advantage as each other, whatever that might be. You could give them a bonus to XP or the ability to reroll 1 die per action. But both of those feel odd... I'll talk with my brothers and see if we can figure something out.

I guess another way is just make wizardry a 3 or 4 cost talent.
Kieddicus is offline   Reply With Quote