View Single Post
Old 04-23-2021, 02:37 PM   #46
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Default Re: table make why does random hit location hitting left side more likely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk926 View Post
Which leads to a question, as a left-handed person myself, would I be at any advantage or disadvantage vs the right handed? We would be mirror images of each other instead of a typical right vs right fight.
In sword and shield engagements you may have an advantage against right handed fighters. Your natural attacks strike through a portion of my RH facing that is normally open. I can parry but the LH fighter has a lot of options to trigger a parry and then thrust anywhere from the top of the R leg to my face. Or pull off a Rapid Strike using the first one as a spoiler to get the opponent to commit to covering one part of his anatomy then strike something that is left open.

RH fighters can pull their shields way to the right but it screws up getting shots off and the LH guy is very practiced at blocking and parrying exactly those shots - he fights righties all the time. RHanders can get better at fighting lefties, they just need the opportunity.

Downsides - it is hilarious to see two lefties try to fight! They don't know what to do. Again this can be mitigated by practicing against other LH fighters.

I would make this a Familiarity thing. Fighting RH people is the base no matter what hand is dominant for a character. Buying Familiarity against LH fighters mitigates any bonuses given to them or minuses incurred. Up to you as to how big those adjustments are. I definitely had a hard time working out how to get around a LHers shield and how to watch out for LH attacks.