View Single Post
Old 05-20-2021, 09:09 PM   #6
Inky

Default Re: [Banestorm] What's the religious position on elementals among the Abrahamic faith

Quote:
The rules seem to imply that they are created at the first point of their summoning and imbuded with what sentience they have by their first summoner. But that is rather disturbing. You are creating something with intelligence and awareness in the human range and giving it indefinite existence. This might be seen as usurping God's powers and function.
I mean, mummies and daddies create intelligent beings all the time. But what people might think is somehow fundamentally different from that and is usurping God's powers is another question.

Regarding summoning elementals, it sounds as if it's usual in fantasy RPGs to say that there's some kind of separate world that they come from, but I'd always thought of it as "fire already has a mind and you're just summoning it and turning it into a person shape", same as tree spirits. Which, if that was the case, would, I suppose, make Yrth a lot odder than we thought it was and it was already quite odd.