Thread: GURPS: Amber
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2022, 03:45 PM   #1
naloth

Default GURPS: Amber

Last time I worked on adapting Amber, it was before more of the GURPS line has come out. Needless to say after years of both play and releases I'd do a few things a bit differently.

Point totals (flexible, but right now what I have in mind):
Freshly discovered (uninitiated child): 300 points
Freshly initiated: 500 points
Adults and elders: 1000+ points

Blood of Amber (215 points)
[100] ST+10
[50] HT+5
[10] IT:DR: Slow Regrowth*
[30] Lifting ST+10
[10] Regeneration (Slow)
[15] Very Fit
[0] Blood of Amber**
[0] Blood Curse***
[0] Long Lived****
[0] Low Fertility*****
[0] Massless for half of HP. Any +1 to ST should also have a corresponding +1 to Lifting ST.

Notes: Basically this minimum for anyone that is born with the Amber bloodline. Many are considerably stronger. I deliberately left out DX and IQ, as those will depend greatly on the training and experience of the character. Eventually I'd like to have a few lenses for various backgrounds.

*Slow Regrowth takes x4 as long as regular regrowth. Regeneration does not speed this up.

** I treated Blood of Amber as a 0 point feature. In a campaign where you're dealing with mostly Amber characters the point cost won't matter. The ability to damage the pattern is offset by those that would oppose you if it came up. Amber won't have a reputation in most shadows, but where it does it's usually respected and despised in equal measure.

*** The Amber family talks up the blood curse, but honestly it's probably just something Oberon or Dworkin made up. What little evidence we have is provided by an unreliable narrator talking to a potential enemy. In any case, there's no real values to base it on. It's more or less a dying wish the player can make to the GM.

**** Aging. Aging either doesn't occur or occurs very, very slowly. Either way, no one in the campaign (mortal or otherwise) should be subjected to aging rolls.

***** Amberites seem to only have kids when it's inconvenient. It's almost a disadvantage (almost every character in the series was blindsided at some point with offspring) except that it works out well sometimes.

Last edited by naloth; 03-04-2022 at 03:30 PM.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote