View Single Post
Old 05-13-2021, 08:57 AM   #29
hal

Default Re: Mageborn are like Coins - Worldbuilding TL 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
In Harn, as in much of medieval Europe, most fields are divided into selions, so it should be possible to align the fertile strips along hex rows, I'd think.

Also, do priests have any divine powers, in this setting?
In Harn, the priests and priestesses of the local fertility goddess, Peoni, handle blessings of fields, and the hierarchies of all the religions don't like interference in everyday life by mages.

If the setting has active religions with miraculous abilities, then the relationship between them and the mages will need to be addressed.

Heck, if the priests/priestesses have the hearts and minds of the people and the lords, the issue will need to be addressed.
While Harn will be a HEAVY influence on the TL 3 aspects, HARN's prohibition on open practice of magic in the relatively large numbers of mageborn would be incompatible with the intent of this "exercise". Mageborn being the focus, means that we're going to ignore the Priests, their potential for blessings etc, and concentrate strictly on the spells and application of GURPS MAGIC spells as written.

So - those who want to use the original 1st edition spell lists to see how it impacts on a TL 3 Medieval fantasy world, are welcome to do so. Those who want to utilize GURPS CLASSIC spell lists, are also welcome to do so. Those who want to utilize the GURPS MAGIC spell lists for 4e, are equally welcome to do so.

The idea here will be to see what effects the mageborn will actually have - with the target of tryingn to attain as close to a TL 3 society/technology as possible without going to TL3+2 or TL 3+5 or what have you. If you can see that the spells are pushing it WAY past TL3+0, then - well, we will have learned something.

;)

If by applying spells as written, people start to find it distorts things BADLY - the question is - how badly?

If the numbers of mageborn are not sufficient to turn magic into an alternate technology because there isn't sufficient resources to do so - THAT would be interesting.

As a person, I have "blind spots" - creative stones in my soil of my mind so to speak. Others might have similar blind spots, where together, we see ways around potential issues, or spot issues that the other might miss.

So, let's see where this goes JUST using stock standard Mageborn characters.

I largely can see where EricTheRed is going where he'd rather see IQ 14 be less likely to come up on random rolling.

If ANYONE has suggestions about where I should be drawing the limits percentage wise of a given IQ being a given percentage of the general population, I'm all ears.

If I had my way, I'd go with 13 being the upper limit, but in deference to those of you here on the list, there may very well be "Exceptional" IQ characters who are NPC's as well. Note that I'm using the TEMPLATES book as a guideline here.

But, whswhs brings up a good point, so I'll answer his question next.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote