View Single Post
Old 05-13-2021, 05:42 AM   #25
hal

Default Re: Mageborn are like Coins - Worldbuilding TL 3

General "vote" time for those interested:

I can generate full stats for NPC Mageborn where roughly 52% of the general population will have IQ's between 9 to 11. The process is 16-2d5 - generating ranges between 6 and 14. GURPS Template Toolkit Characters gives a range of attributes saying to the effect that attributes of 6 are crippling and character would not adventure, to 7, which is poor, to 8&9 being below average, 10 being average, etc. The HIGHEST I'd want to see any "NPC" mageborn is IQ 14 which is deemed to be the upper end of Exceptional. Since this will occur as often as "crippling" statistically speaking, that should be reasonably unlikely to occur.

The general idea here is that younger apprentice mageborn will have few character points to spend on spells, day to day social skills (area knowledge etc) - while 50 year old characters will be able to accrue extra experience towards spell casting knowledge and social skills by virtue of having lived longer.

Exceptional IQ mages will only occur in 4% of the mageborn statistically speaking. If using Magery 0 as part of the mageborn creation rules - then mageborn with magery 0 will make up the bulk of the general population with maybe a smattering of 1 or 2 who may have something other than magery 0. If using the original make up of Magery from before Magery 0 was introduced, the bulk of mageborn will be Magery 1, with perhaps a few non-1 magery levels. Out of 10 test runs, I thnk maybe once did I see Magery 3 (which I suspect is how it should be).

So - now's the time to voice your thoughts and/or concerns before I finalize the coding and start to generate NPC mageborn. :)
hal is offline   Reply With Quote