View Single Post
Old 05-12-2021, 06:09 AM   #24
hal

Default Re: Mageborn are like Coins - Worldbuilding TL 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenH View Post

Were you expecting this to be easy? ;-)
When it comes to gamers, nothing for any GM is ever easy. ;)

Quote:
Is pollarding and/or coppicing known? What about daisugi?
As in Pollard Hay? I'm guessing not. Coppicing was known since Roman times, and that would be something that Woodwards would be aware of. Each "fief" when generated, will have woods attached to the Lord for his use (hunting rights, woods etc). Rights to hunt are jealously guarded and poaching even of rabbits was often frowned upon in medieval times. Even rabbits could be treated as semi-domesticated animals whose warrens were placed near damns and mill raceways. For purposes of this "medieval sim Villages", I don't think it will come into play much.

As for daisugi. **delicate cough** I largely suspect not - at least, not in England circa 1190 AD.

Quote:
Oh, another important question: Besides showing up in humans as magery, does the ambient mana have any other effects on the environment? How did the ability to interact with the mana fields evolve? Are there bacteria that use mana as an energy source (manaphiles)? What about insects? Higher animals? Plants?
Since this was intended to model in part, the early Yrth saga as first written in GURPS FANTASY 1st edition, plus GURPS FANTASY 2nd edition - which ultimately became GURPS BANESTORM in GURPS 4e - I would say that manaphiles are not part of the equation. Mana based "mutations" of actual creatures are of course, open to interpretation, as the early rules for Alchemy did include rules for harvesting mana organs of monsters etc.

Since settled Villages tend to take a dim view of predators or nuisance varmints - chances are very good that short of wandering predators or varmints approaching the Farm, we're likely not going to see all too much of this for this simulation/world building exercise. That doesn't mean you can't introduce concepts and ideas as optional - for purposes of "discussion". My hope is that people who partake in this ADD to it as contributors, not as players who take my thoughts as words of law.

Right now, I've got the code for generating magery value for individual mageborn NPC's. Next step will be for me to create a data grid view container that holds all information on the NPC characters (be they mageborn or mundane born) where we have ages, genders, date of expected deaths (assuming magic is not uitlized to save their lives or keep them alive longer than usual)

Here is where I'm looking to go:

Genders: 48% of newborns are born Male. 52% are born Female.

Date of Death generated per the FAMILY TREE PDF (I will link to that in another post)

Adult IQ: I'm thinking of using 7+2d6/2 (round down) for generating IQ values for our Mageborn. Why 2d6/2 rounded plus 7 instead of 1d6+7? Most of the IQ will tend to hover around 10 due to the bell curve effect of rolling 2d6. Net result will give a range around 8 to 13. Since I can generate stats for each NPC Mageborn, this would be handy for those who want to know how to spend their "coins". Yes, it can very well come to happen that you may get a Magery 3 IQ 8 NPC...

More as I reach said milestones on coding.

By the way...

Here is a sample of five runs that generate the Magery using non-magery 0:

Magery 1: 44 Magery 2: 7 Magery3: 0
Magery 1: 42 Magery 2: 9 Magery3: 0
Magery 1: 44 Magery 2: 6 Magery3: 1
Magery 1: 41 Magery 2: 9 Magery3: 1
Magery 1: 46 Magery 2: 5 Magery3: 0

This is what I generate when allowing for the new fangled Magery 0 instead:
Magery 0: 47 Magery 1: 4 Magery 2: 0 Magery3: 0
Magery 0: 44 Magery 1: 7 Magery 2: 0 Magery3: 0
Magery 0: 47 Magery 1: 4 Magery 2: 0 Magery3: 0
Magery 0: 41 Magery 1: 9 Magery 2: 1 Magery3: 0
Magery 0: 41 Magery 1: 10 Magery 2: 0 Magery3: 0

In both cases, this presumed that there were 51 mageborn to flesh out.

I largely suspect, in answer to whswhs' original question, that we might be better off using the original "non-magery 0" set up. On the flip side, we can look at the effects that having Magery 0 being factored in, spread over 10 villages, would by statistical probability - keep all of those Magery 2 and Magery 3 spell practitioners to a relatively LOW number. This would have an overall effect on what spells are even KNOWN at the village level by Village based mages.

So - this is progressing at a reasonable clip where I can present the data for manors, plus populations, plus generated NPC mageborn (whether trained or untrained) and even perhaps leave you folks with the question "what do we do with the untrained mages even if we can't train them."

In the meantime - anyone who wants to see the actual code or wants access to these VB.NET exe files, are more than welcome to them.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote