View Single Post
Old 06-30-2022, 10:52 PM   #30
tbone

Default Re: Why holy water? And other questions about holy-powered PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Armor specifically protects normally vs. acid, it's the major exception.
You're right.

It's a grenade, and Exploits p44 has this general rule (bold is mine):

Quote:
Corrosives and contact poisons must hit a person (not a shield or the ground) to work. Read the description for effects, including whether any damage is one-shot or ongoing. Against physical damage, armor DR protects at only 1/5 value unless noted otherwise.
But Adventurers p114 provides the "noted otherwise":

Quote:
Ordinary acid inflicts 1d-3 corrosion damage; DR protects normally.
So: Corrosive liquids normally use DR/5, but acid is an exception that uses full DR. (I'll take heart in this confirmation that my past experiences applying DR normally vs acid were kosher play, not a case of forgetting to reduce DR.)

But again, it leaves us with the oddity that a vial of holy water won't even break on a foe unless the foe has DR 3+... but DR 3+ will completely protect against 1d-3 dam (and holy water won't corrode away the armor). So tossing vials of Divine Dasani seems pretty useless.

Perhaps it's best to say "yes, holy water burns undead like acid, but unlike acid vials uses DR/5 instead of full DR". Or just do away with the "DR protects normally" exception for acid and holy water alike. (1d-3 dam is pretty sad to begin with; let those liquids seep into armor!)

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote